Monday, October 17, 2016

Syn·chro·nic·i·ty

Syn·chro·nic·i·ty

Synchronicity is a concept, first explained by psychiatrist Carl Jung, which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship, yet seem to be meaningfully related.

One of my favorite concept (outside of the collective unconscious) of Jung's', has presented itself nicely in my life and Eggs.

Last year I introduced Egg at an SCBWI in person meeting with art director Joy Chu.  She loved Egg and even spent some quality time with me to make Egg even better.  Fast forward to this summer and a signed contract with Clear Fork Publishing and a question about illustrators. 

Now steps in synchronicity, in the form and person of Sunny Choi. I fell in love with her work as I looked through her website, http://sunnyjchoi.com/ and decided that if I could, I would ask for her to illustrate Egg.


Then, steps in a conversation with Joy Chu, one in which I tell her that Egg has been signed.  She is excited.  And her excitement increases when I tell her that I think I have found an illustrator.  I tell her I have my fingers crossed for Sunny Choi.  Joy bubbles over with well, joy and says she knows Sunny and thinks that YES, that it would be a totally amazing fit. 

Life of course intervenes,  making simple things complicated and draws time out in an unbearable way, but in the end this proposed partnership prevails.

Now comes my first conversation with Sunny, the one in which I tell her how excited I am she will be illustrating Egg, and how through a previous conversation, Joy Chu is over the moon she will be illustrating Egg.

And that's when it happens, Sunny and I have a moment when she says, "Omg, she's almost like my mother, so special to me!! This is totally meant to be!!Thank you so much again for contacting me, let's make it a wonderful one!!"

What and amazing turn around the experience wheel.  What a beautiful way to start my very first project.  Not only have I found a great new friend in my publisher Callie at Clear Fork, but the perfect illustrator match for Egg.

And I just I can't wait to see how the rest of this journey unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment