Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A Review- Sleep Tight Charlie by Michael Escoffier and Kris Di Giacomo


Finding just the right book for your kids is like waving a magic wand and hoping that you said your spell just right. 

There are amazing books out there. 



There are Okay books out there and then, well there is everything else.

Put all of that to one side and let’s simple look at who your kid is.

Mine, is like yours unique. 

Mine like or unlike yours has particulars that align with Autism, Adoption, Learning disabilities, social issues and a very particular eye for aesthetic.

So, when I find a good book for her, I feel like I should share it with you all.

I found SLEEP TIGHT CHARLIE when doing a reading at Queen Anne Book Company for my little EGG.

I liked it immediately.

The illustrations are unique, almost film noir like, not overly colorful and bright, but alive and interesting.  The artist Kris Di Giacomo, is really good at leaving a lot of empty “negative space” so that the details, few as they are, really pop.  The details are very everyday but fascinating- a scissor mirror, bottles, clocks, and basic furniture.  Nothing feels crowded, the pages have room for imagination as well as the text.



What I love best about Michael Escoffier’s text is it’s simple (such a hard thing to do right) it’s got nice repetition and voice.

The story is clear.  The character is immediately likeable in his quirkiness.

What I love best about the story, are the patterns, simple, but detailed with a nice pacing.

And, I love the ending. In fact, I still enjoy the ending even now after having read it OVER and OVER and OVER again.  I get so caught up in reading the story that somehow the ending is still a surprise.

My daughter who needs repetition loves “Silly Charlie”.  Even acts out the book while I read it to her.  Sometimes she “reads” it to me from memory, always at random points during the day. 

The character, the story has successfully engrained itself in her life, seamlessly.
Good for Kids who make lists, need repetition.

Good for parents who like to do dramatic readings with sounds effects and tension.  

No comments:

Post a Comment