Tuesday, May 23, 2023

The Rejection Garden Tree/Story 18

 The Rejection Garden is less about rejection, 

and more about creativity, persistence, and joy. 

Over the next month, I am going to share one Tree or Manuscript with you, not in its entirety, 

instead, I’ll post a synopsis, how many times it has been rejected, and then, 

I’ll finish with my favorite line and include a picture of the tree and name tag.



"I tell writers to keep reading, reading, reading. Read widely and deeply. And I tell them not to give up even after getting rejection letters.  And only write what you love."
-Anita Diamant


And older manuscript, 8 submissions since 2014, 8 rejections


Pitch: When a letter arrives just for him, Zorg is excited until he opens it and discovers a very real, very serious warning, "Beware the Tickle Raider." As things go BUMPity THUMP around him, Zorg must calm his fears while he detects and searches to unmask the Tickle Raider. Space-themed, family-oriented fun, full of onomatopoeia silliness.


Favorite line:  It's not a line, it is an onomatopoeia- SPLOOOOOPITY SPLAT! 

Written originally for my nephew who was fearful of all things unexpected, this is a fun manuscript, and who knows, maybe someday it'll get a major overhaul and I start sending it out again, maybe.




As much fun, as it has been fun to do these rejection posts and highlight my #rejectiongarden, I am almost finished.  I have been writing and submitting things for over 10 years now. I have hundreds of manuscripts/stories in various states of being, but only a handful ever make it to the "hit send button" stage. Plus, I am almost out of planted Japanese maples (shocked, I'm sure).  But will this be the end of my Rejection Garden?  No. I keep planting. I keep watching things grow because, I am a "Creative," and rejection will always be in my life.  As long as I have ways to help me into the "move on, next" phase, I am sure I will persist because I am never short on stories or snippets of ideas. Never.


No comments:

Post a Comment