Friday, May 26, 2023

#RejectionGarden The UP's and the Down's and Hope, little or big

 The Rejection Garden is less about rejection, 

and more about creativity, persistence, and joy. 

Over the next month, I am going to share one Tree or Manuscript with you, not in its entirety, 

instead, I’ll post a synopsis, how many times it has been rejected, and then, 

I’ll finish with my favorite line and include a picture of the tree and name tag.



    So, yesterday I was chewing my nails off because I had applied to PB Rising Stars mentorship program, and yesterday the winners were announced. I had spent days and many hours researching and then answering questions, and picking out the RIGHT manuscript to apply with. Then weeks before the announcement I received an email stating one of the mentors was interested, but wanted to read more work (so I sent 3 other manuscripts).

    When I got that email, HOPE, yes in all caps, exploded into my life. MAYBE, just MAYBE, I would get a mentor. Someone to help support me in this crazy business, someone to root for me, tell me where I was going wrong, and ask me pointed questions. MAYBE...

    But as the names were listed, none of which were mine, I realized it just not going to happen and, as you can imagine, I was CRUSHED, like many thousands of others. 

    Rejected again. 

    All I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and ignore the rest of the day, but the day wasn't going to ignore me. Instead of a mentorship, or a runner-up place, I unexpectedly received an Honorable Mention.




    Perspective is a rough and tough thing to have when in a moment of rejection.  Perspective- MANY THOUSANDS of BRILLIANT writers applied for one of these mentorships... talented, fabulous, creative writers (my critique partners, who constantly amaze me, included).

    Perspective, I received an Honorable Mention, only a handful did. 

    So, after licking my wounds, it was time to celebrate and remember really, 
writing is my win. 
    Creating is my win. 

    Everything else is, just everything else.

    Then, something really REALLY special happened. I opened up my twitter account and read something, that in this business is akin to a year worth of survival food... something that will help me push forward. No, it wasn't an offer for mentorship, it was encouragement, honest, and freely offered.

    Hope, little or big is something that feeds us. One hope was dashed but then was soon replaced.

    Kind words are beyond powerful. They feed the soul, the creative, they feed hope. Writing without hope isn't alive. So, Thank you @ebonylynnmudd@kaileipew, and all of the mentors for all of your time and energy, and willingness to give hope to thousands of writers. It is much appreciated. And Thank you @davidmcmullinpb  for reaching out and saying this:  


"Laura! You were my HM choice. 
I adore everything about you-your ideas,
your writing,
and who you are as a person-
I hope you find the meeting with Kailei and Ebony useful!  
All the best!"

    David, Kailei, and Ebony, I needed this. And I THANK YOU, I really do. That encouragement will keep me going for a while. 

    In fact, I wrote something new today. So ONWARD!


No comments:

Post a Comment