Thursday, May 25, 2023

The Rejection Garden Tree/Story 20 Bean in the Box

 The Rejection Garden is less about rejection, 

and more about creativity, persistence, and joy. 

Over the next month, I am going to share one Tree or Manuscript with you, not in its entirety, 

instead, I’ll post a synopsis, how many times it has been rejected, and then, 

I’ll finish with my favorite line and include a picture of the tree and name tag.


"On a bright and beautiful day, surrounded by a lovely life, 
and maybe even with a win under your belt, 
rejection can, 
and will try to darken your shine. 

Today was such a day for me.

Instead of curling up in a ball (always an option), 
I am here, writing. 

Choose yourself. 
Choose to create. 
If you choose to be a ball, 
choose to unfurl yourself 
and move forward sooner, than later."
-Laura N. Clement


2 submissions, 2 rejections

This story started out simply as a fun writing exercise for a Twitter, 100 words or less contest. I did not win. I don't even think it got an honorable mention, but it was FUN to write.  Recently I submitted it to a publisher looking for creepy halloweenie pieces. That's fine.  The story was fun, as most of the time writing and simply having time to be creative is fun.  Plus, naming a tree The Bean In The Box, was amusing to me.

Favorite line EH, who cares? I am posting the whole thing, it was less than 100 words. I mean, why not, LOL.

THE BOX AND THE BEAN

 

First in line this year and, Bea was scared.

She must be brave, show no fear, everyone was watching.

 

IT, was just a box, plane and black… possibly even empty.

 

“No liquid potions. No tarantulas (rules forbade it).”

 

Blindfold on. Bea hoped that it wouldn’t… bite. 

 

Last year’s ooey, gooey “Mystery Trickery Box” had been fun, messy but harmless. But this year…

 

Bea moved her fingertips through the opening.

 

Harmless cotton cobwebs, slimy peeled grapes, messy pasta… she hoped.

 

It was small, smooth…

 

Gulp…

 

And, moving!

 

EwwwwWWW…

 

And done! No bites or mess…

 

Now, to plot next year’s revenge.






No comments:

Post a Comment