Saturday, May 13, 2023

The Rejection Garden Tree/Story 12 THE GIFT

          The Rejection Garden is less about rejection and more about creativity, persistence, and joy. 

Over the next month, I am going to share one Tree or Manuscript with you, not in its entirety, instead, 

I’ll post a synopsis, how many times it has been rejected, and then, 

I’ll finish with my favorite line and include a picture of the tree and name tag.


"I got a rejection letter from an editor at HarperCollins, who included a report from his professional reader. This report shredded my first-born novel, laughed at my phrasing, twirled my lacy pretensions around, and gobbled into the seething mosh pit of my stolen cliches. As I read the report, the world became very quiet and stopped rotating. What poisoned me was the fact that the report's criticisms were all absolutely true. The sound of my landlady digging in the garden got the world moving again. I slipped the letter into the trash...knowing I'd remember every word."
-David Michell




7 submissions, 7 rejections

    A sensory seasonal tale with the twist of a diverse perspective, inclusive, unique, and friendship functioning in the everyday. Supporting Sarah is everything for her service dog, Sam. Sharing joy with him, in between the everyday care and support he provides brightens each day. One afternoon during a break, a seasonal romp through the senses with a PLUNGE...CRASH...CRUNCH... binds two hearts together in a moment of autumnal textures and smells, each a gift, shared between friends.




    One of my favorite lines from this very lyrical piece:

"Nothing, not the earthy smell of the mud in the in-between,
with its slips and slides...

... or the scent of treats from Sarah's pocket could distract him from a run,
and race over the crisp snap and crackle of the ground.

All he needed was a...

'Go!'"



No comments:

Post a Comment