Wednesday, May 3, 2023

The Rejection Garden Tree/Story 2 CROWNS

     The Rejection Garden is less about rejection and more about creativity, persistence, and joy. Over the next month, I am going to share one Tree or Manuscript with you, not in its entirety, instead, I’ll post a synopsis, how many times it has been rejected and then, I’ll finish with my favorite line and include a picture of the tree and name tag. 


"The good thing about rejection is that too much of it can make you more tenacious, 

courageous, and stronger, 

which eventually leads you to a positive outcome if you don't give up."

-Germany Kent


    The second Tree/Story is CROWNS. Seen here represented by one of my Japanese Maples a Corral Bark, and she is a beauty.  I moved this tree from my front yard into the Rejection Garden last fall so that it could be amongst all of the other Japanese Maples. As you can see from all of the fresh buds, it seems very happy with its move. 

 



CROWNS
28 Submissions, into acquisitions at 3 publishers, but never beyond.
Word Count: 208

    Character-driven CROWNS, for ages 4 and up, highlights an autistic voice who uses art as a means of connection and communication to illuminate her joy and hope. The beauty of Mia’s world like Amelie (movie) weaves sensory vignette’s together from within a solitary adventure like that of Harold and the Purple Crayon.

    With her favorite pair of giraffe scissors, tape, and paper, Mia’s repetitive behavior proves that her art has the power to expand and brighten the world. CROWNS creates a safe place for the reader to listen, question and push beyond norms while highlighting one voice from the rainbow chorus which is the Autism spectrum.

    This manuscript is my heart on the page, hence the continued effort to submit it. My favorite line? I love the repetition of "In...snip, Out...snap, Zig, Zag, Zip...Rip...Place." But it is the line,

"I start again."

that really hits home for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment