Friday, May 5, 2023

The Rejection Garden- Tree/Story 4 Fairytale Support Club- A place to speak your truth, and tell your story and, be heard.

 The Rejection Garden is less about rejection and more about creativity, persistence, and joy. 

Over the next month, I am going to share one Tree or Manuscript with you, not in its entirety, instead, 

I’ll post a synopsis, how many times it has been rejected, and then, 

I’ll finish with my favorite line and include a picture of the tree and name tag.  



I love my rejection slips. They show me I try.- Sylvia Plath




    Story/Tree 4 Fuzzy Wuzzy, choosing this tree wasn't as important from an aesthetic standpoint, it was more about simply putting my book title out there as this one has gone through rejection and MAJOR rewrites to the point that really, it's a whole new story.  Shout out to my great critique partners for walking with me through the years of this manuscript, particularly Maria Marshall, for the brilliant idea of a fundamental shift in the overall setting. Gotta love a good critique group.

    So, Fuzzy, now titled  Fairytale Support Club-  A place to speak your truth, and tell your story and, be heard. This fractured fairytale follows many nursery rhyme characters in a new light, telling their true stories in their own voices, or rather in this first book (I have plans for more), Fuzzy Wuzzy who is NOT a bear is impeded by false perceptions/discrimination. A practical and forthright gnome who is the lead rocket engineer Fuzzy must prevail in a hurry to secure her invention before a storm hits. Layered in nursery rhyme references and alterations this story really looks at things from a whole new perspective with a little humor and support from classic characters.

    My favorite line? I have several, but this one, from Molly the cow, well. It makes me chuckle every time.    

"Hold the cheese, no way!" said Molly.         

    And this one, 

"Not the Narrator," said Bear, "He's the worst, he's always getting things wrong." 

    Pretty much sums everything up.


    Fuzzy (old version) has been rejected 25 times since 2015. I am getting ready to send this new version out soon. So, maybe someday, you will come across these lines in a real book or not. But, I love them. I love this character. I love this story. So, Fuzzy got her own tree in my Rejection Garden for good reason.

    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a gnome,

    who loved to wander far from home.

    Wicked-smart, and really sweet,

    with long black hair and small gnome feet..."



 

    

1 comment:

  1. Perfect tree for Fuzzy!
    Fingers crossed she finds a home!!

    ReplyDelete