Wednesday, October 2, 2024

It's that time of year again, #FALLWRITINGFRENZY

Once again I rose to the 200 words or less challenge for a children's story put on by @kaitlyneann17, @LydiaLukidis, and @ebonylynnmudd

You can find all of the information here.


I was inspired by a photo of a lantern this year, and at exactly 200 words, I am pretty happy with the story. I hope you enjoy it.

Happy writing and Happy Fall everyone.

 



WISHES FROM A FAIRY LANTERN

By Laura N. Clement

Perched at her window as night crept darkness in, May watched the streetlights flicker while shadows danced illumination down the side-walkway between her and the lonely house next door.

May’s sleepy eyes wandered while cascading leaves transformed the empty house’s unkempt garden in autumnal yellows, reds, and oranges.

“Magic,” May said her word a puff of warmth on the cold window. She drew a star in the steam with her finger and made a wish. Suddenly she noticed a light flickering from a bench peeking out from underneath creeping vines.

A lantern?

It shimmered and beckoned…was it a fairy lantern? If she blew it out, would her wish really come true?

May dashed outside to discover a hidden doorway in the hedge between the houses.

Through it was a stone path.

The crunch of leaves underfoot, the snap of autumn on her cheeks made her shiver but did not stop her. Curiosity pushed her on.

Only steps away from the lantern she stopped… a twinkling of laughter filled the space around her… pulling her closer.

May trembled in the flickering light, I wish… she whispered reaching for the lantern, then…

…blew.

Out went the light.

 

2 comments:

  1. Mysterious! I'd love to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some ideas! Maybe I'll actually write it. If I do, I'll post it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete