Monday, March 4, 2024

The beauty of the writing community

Yesterday I received a gift so precious and generous, I still can't believe it was real.  Someone thriving in the kidlit community, a joyous, talented and kind soul, took time out of their very busy schedule to talk with me across time zones and many miles. They really listened and in doing so to gave me much needed encouragement and support.

Being heard is vital. Being heard with encouragement is life changing, especially in the world of writing, when it feels like the only voice you hear is your own, echoing after receiving rejection after rejection after rejection. 

I write all kinds of picture book stories from fractured fairy tales to neurodiverse (ND) own voice pieces, there are even a couple informational fiction stories. But it is my ND pieces, specifically CROWNS that is my heart story... that I very much want out in the world for SO SO many reasons.

Yesterday, another ND writer/illustrator listened to that story. 

Loved that story. 

Felt that story. 

Saw that story in her imagination. And when I was done she had a few things to say to me. And I think this can apply to others so I'll share.


"Don't you dare give up."

"This is an important story."

"It needs to find the right home."

"Don't just get it published, have it done right, with the right people who will SUPPORT it and you."

"Rejection isn't an end." (Even though it is frustrating and heartbreaking.)

"Keep going."

"You are precious."


More than once I have been told there isn't a market for "these" voices. She and I agree to disagree with that "fact."

"Don't you dare give up." "It needs to find the right home."

She loved the unique ND repetition of the story.

"This is an important story."

She was glad that I turned down an opportunity to have it published when the publisher's plans for the story did not lend to keeping it authentic.

"Don't just get it published, have it done right, with the right people who will SUPPORT it and you."

"Rejection isn't an end." (Even though it is frustrating and heartbreaking.)


She really listened. And across the distance of the country on a phone call she HUGGED me.

"You are precious."


Does any of this change my day today? Yes, and no. I am preparing more submissions this time for an amazing opportunity with PB Rising Stars as I had planned. But I am doing this with a stronger heart and more conviction that being creative, that my writing needs to continue. I still don't have a contract, and that may not change any time soon, but I KNOW in the core of my being that 

"This is an important story."

and

"Don't you dare give up."


So once again, I am in debt to my writing community for keeping me going.  The hearts and souls of the people around us, even those we don't know well, are here to help us help the world be a better place for readers, young and old. This is beyond precious, and I am so SO grateful.





1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post, Laura. Thank you so much for sharing. I haven't read that story - but I loved your ADOPTION DAY entry for #50PreciousWords...and the other judges agreed. Just reached out to let you know it's time to pick your prize. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete