Saturday, July 25, 2026

An old dream, a new project and a soon to be unique place I can tuck myself away into to write.

 Tea House-

 

There is a platform sitting in the woods that used to house a hot tub. It was there when we moved in 7 years ago. The hot tub was removed several years ago, because we never used it. I do love a good project. I do love creating things, and I yearned for a place I could tuck myself away to write, to read, to draw, to stare out a window at the world inside the forest.

 

So, this year, we decided to make it happen. The dream started small, simple and inexpensive from a new build perspective. I would build it using a metal gazebo roof and frame, with my dad’s help. I had this thought for quite some time; I’d researched and priced out the gazebo I liked best in my price range. Done, right?

 

Well, no.  I ended up asking a friend, a contractor friend for construction details so I could get started, and well, as many construction ideas go, it snowballed.

 

Since my dream started 2 years ago, the platform has remained empty, but soon. (fingers crossed) Very. Very soon, something special, a jewel for creative time, will be sparkling in the forest.

 

I am going to start posting progress reports.  But first let’s begin with inspirations, then first drafts, then gathered/milled materials, followed by installation photos, and then… and then… the final product.  Well, honestly, it might take me a little time to finish the inside just right (I have decided to wait to get it all perfect inside, those updates will follow, I promise, as they manifest.

 

So, “A tea house?” you ask.  Yes. I love tea. I love sitting alone in the woods. I love Japanese Maples. I love Japanese and Korean Tea House architecture, and I love writing. So… why not have a spot that honors and folds in all of these? I already created a forest garden of Japanese Maples, so now it’s time to add PNW/Japanese/Korean architecture as a house to tie everything together.

 

It is really easy to go down the rabbit hole of photos on the internet when an idea like this is burning within. Here are some of interior and exterior photos that inspired me and eventually my craftsmen milling and building my dream for me.

 





















All of these have helped me design and inspire my Tea House and every choice I have made for lighting, wall shelves, table, chairs, etc. The craftsmen have taken over the construction details, including milling cedar from their land and sourcing reclaimed windows! It has been a mountain of work, but everyone is excited about this project and what might be created from its creation for any future Tea Houses!

 

Once we decided to jump all in, the Craftsmen got to work and sent me all of these as things moved forward.














Now, I wait. The cedar milled on the site of my craftsmen has dried, been cut, and is now getting put together. I am hoping that this coming week, before my 50th birthday, I will see a building taking shape. I will post updates.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment