Thursday, October 1, 2026

2026 #FallWritingFrenzy entry!

It is that time of year again. Time for Kaitlyn Sanchez and Lydial Ludkidis' annual writing challenge #FallWritingFrenzy: in 200 words or less, tell a story or poem for kids.


This year, I picked the #14 photo as inspiration.




Here is my entry!


                                                                        Petrichor

                                                                 Word Count: 198

 

I turn back at the foot of the waterfall where crisp tendrils of mist dance and swirl around me.

Leaping from their dive and plunge, 

dew drops splash and spray onto the stones and neighboring leaves;

shining like diamonds in the day's fading light.

 

My skin rises, meeting the change of atmosphere with a shiver.

 

My breathing slows as I drink in the earthly flavors that float in the in-between—

under the forest’s arms and canopy,

above the viny ground cover and sponge of moss.

 

Evening shift in the dappled and thinning light,

stretching its deepening shadows around me.

 

I breathe in,

delicious delicate dark greens,

earthy browns,

and greys.

I breathe out,

the warmth of words unsaid,

and wishes yet to be made.

Then,

between breaths,

everything under the sky holds still as the air crackles alive around me.

 

Leaving the forest, my heart faces home,

soil crackles underfoot,

and parched trees above my head lap at the sky.

 

Hungrily, everything devours the smell of petrichor with its heavy promise of rain.

 

In the distance,

echoes from the waterfall that had drowned my ears are replaced by the patter and pelt of fresh rain.

 

Autumn has come home.







For more information about Kaitlyn or Lydia you can find them here:

Kaitlyn: @kaitlynleann17, @kaitlyeann17.bsky.social, @kaitlynlean17     http://kaitlynleannsanchez.com

and Lydia: @LydiaLukidis, @lydialukidis.bsky.cocial, @lydiallukidis7    https://www.lydialukidis.come

2 comments: